Tuesday, August 12, 2014

3 B's of our busy weekend...

We had a gloriously packed weekend!  Friday was Kaleb’s 2nd BIRTHDAY.  So we let him pick where to go for dinner and let him check out his newest book, too.  He picked pancakes for dinner, and we headed to Bob Evans.  We also did some mundane other stuff… like grocery shopping and such, but it was a nice family night, nonetheless.  Because it was his birthday, we ordered the boys special birthday treats (ice cream sundaes) while we were out at Bob Evans.  They loved these… and the picture below is of Kaleb enjoying his birthday treat.



Saturday was a bit of a whirlwind.  I spent the morning getting food and such ready for Kaleb’s birthday party, and then dropped all of it off at my sister, Tracy’s house.  She’d be hosting the joint birthday party later in the day.  We then rushed off to the 2nd B for the weekend – a BABY SHOWER.  The ladies at church planned a baby shower for Ellie - I couldn't have been more tickled about it.  I felt a little selfish and über spoiled because we’d already had a baby shower before we had Lance, but I was deeply touched that they wanted to throw a shower, and I couldn't wait for the barrage of pink and purple.  Just walking in, I was overwhelmed by the love, time and effort these friends of ours poured into the shower.  The decorations were adorable, the food was beautifully presented (and delicious), and the company was warm and loving!  Brandon was working, so I had our boys with me, but Aron Tipps arrived to swoop them up and bring them to his house to play during the shower.  Super!  I can’t thank everyone enough for this experience – and I was super excited to come home and show Brandon all of the adorable outfits, blankets, toys and gifts we had for Ellie.  We were also given a sit & stand stroller for our boys – which we broke in right away.  Ahhhh – this little monkey is already so loved, I cannot wait to share her with the world!  A few pictures from the shower are below:
How cute is this?  Even better was how proud the little boy was who helped his Mommy & Daddy create it.  He told us all about it on Sunday.  You know who you are... and we love you guys :)

Pretty decorations!

I left the shower and went straight to Tracy’s house to prepare for birthday festivities.  Since our Kaleb and her Zandria have birthdays that are only a day apart, it made sense to celebrate together.  We packed out the Platfoot house with guests and had a great time!  The kids played extra hard and were fast asleep before we were halfway home.  Below are a few shots of birthday festivities... loving our little Ninja Turtle.
Kaleb's construction themed cake.  LOVE!


I don't know if he'll ever take off his Ninja Turtle get-up.


Did I mention that my brother-in-law also mowed our yard while I was at the baby shower?  How sweet is that?

Sunday morning is always a rush, and yesterday was no different.  We rushed to get the kiddos ready and out the door on time.  We enjoyed a fabulous service which had B and me talking all the way home about its impact on our lives and our world.  And after a quick pit-stop at home, we were headed up to Cridersville so that B could help his dad build a pergola for the remainder of the day.  We enjoyed our visit with Mamaw and Papaw Maier and again, our boys were totally pooped on the way home.  On Sunday, the 3rd B was BREAKDOWN, though.  If I do not see you on Sundays, this may be totally weird to you – heck, it might be weird to people who see me every Sunday, too… but hey, this is me!

For those of you who see me on Sunday mornings, I’m really not a basket case.  I may look like one in church, but I’m really a very happy person who generally keeps things together… GENERALLY being the operative word there.  For those of you who are greeters – I especially thank you because this is the one public place I can go each week and not worry too much about my kiddos.  I know that y’all know who those rotten boys belong to and I know you’re not going to let them run out into the parking lot without me.  I sincerely thank you for that, too – because Brandon and I are usually tying up loose ends before service or catching up with friends.  For those of you who pick those boys up or let them lead you around by your finger… we love you.  You are each making a lasting impact on our kids and we cannot thank you enough for humoring them.

I know that everyone has their own “relationship” with Sunday service.  Over the past 4.5 years, I’ve come to find that this is my time for sanctuary each week – not to sound cliché.  I don’t know about anyone else, but there are just a few precious hours each week where I can come into a place and take off the hat as mom or wife, co-worker, daughter or sister.  I can take off all of those responsibilities and expectations.  I can take off the tough-girl, confident façade; melt into my seat, and become completely vulnerable.  I realize that some people come into church with the opposite purpose, and that’s peachy keen.  If you see me there as a total mess, though, just know that this is my time to be raw and open and a puddle at the foot of the cross.  Sometimes I hit the altar… maybe I’m especially weak or confused, maybe I have a list of praises to offer up.  Sometimes I stand behind the altar and stand in the gap for someone else on his/her knees.  Sometimes my seat is my altar.  Either way, if you see tears streaming down my face, or see that my make-up is a disaster after service… know that I’ve had a good morning!  I’m not always sad… sometimes it’s stress streaming down my face, sometimes it’s fear, worry or doubt (this was it this Sunday)… but this is where I let it all out… this is my safe and vulnerable place.  This is where I leave my burdens each week and walk out the doors feeling uplifted and cleansed.  I may pick those back up during the week… I sure try not to… but if I do, you can bet I’ll try to shed them again the next Sunday.  Does this make me a busted up mess?  Maybe.  But what better place to be a busted up mess, right? 

On the weeks when I do hit the altar, I thank those of you who stand in the gap for me.  I don’t know who you are most of the time… and that’s okay.  Know that I love you and I feel your presence.  This week, I think there were several people running their fingers through my hair and others rubbing my back.  Y’all must know how much I love that, right?  By the time the prayer song ends, I always feel like a huge weight has been lifted.  I know who is carrying it… and I know that each person standing over me helped to lift it.  After reading this part, more of you now think I’m a basket case… ha… and I’m still okay with that!  Thank you – I love you – and I’m touched that you’re following along ;).

Did I mention that we’re 24 days from our due date??  Eeeek! 

No comments:

Post a Comment