Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A humbling experience...

If I had only one word to describe our experiences over the past 6 months of this journey, I’d have to say “humbling”.  We’ve been brought to our knees for different reasons along this path – and through this, have learned so much about ourselves and our relationships.  I’ve never been through anything that made me feel more vulnerable (and helpless at times) before.  While it can be painful, it’s also refreshing sometimes.

Medically and physically, we’re amazed every day by the things that we have to teach Ellie… or that she’s just not able to do - things that were 100% natural for our boys.  Ellie didn’t come with the coordination it takes to breathe and eat at the same time.  While she was able to suckle, she didn’t have the strength to draw back using her tongue and improvised while she ate (smart cookie).  We’ve spent a lot of time with speech therapists working on pacing her as she ate and helping her learn to use her tongue to draw milk out.  With our boys, I remember nursing them through the night.  This was stressful because (like all new parents) it required much less sleep than I’d become accustom to.  However, with the boys, I totally took for granted the fact that I could lay them next to me and nurse them… usually falling asleep in the process and waking up later to a sleeping baby with a full tummy.  I dozed off Saturday night while gavage feeding Ellie and spilled milk all over myself and my bed… and may or may not have said a bad word in the process.  Later that night, Ellie was really upset and kicking around while I was feeding her.  She kicked over the pump full of expressed milk (again… maybe a bad word escaped my lips here).  And somehow in her fit, her little monkey toes snagged her feeding tube and ripped it off of the syringe holding her milk.  Again, a couple of ounces of fortified milk spilled all over our bed and me.  Oh the smell of formula on linens… mixed with breast milk… which is sticky when it dries on your skin.  Ick!

There are scary things that come along with this too.  For our boys, if they were to get sick, they could vomit… it wasn’t fun, and it still sends a new mom frantically reaching over to flip over her baby… but with Ellie, she’s a little more helpless.  She used to be completely silent when she started getting sick.  She’d silently gag (and retract big time), then milk would start oozing out of her nose.  Her airway was completely blocked, but she didn’t have the muscle tone to cough and clear her throat.  Now, she’s strong enough to gag and make this horrible sound.  Again - humbled when I realized that I was celebrating the fact that my baby was now strong enough to audibly gag and cough.  Silly, right?  The struggles aside, I have no doubt that this little booger is going to conquer each obstacle in her path… even if she has to try 10 times harder than her peers to do so… I just see that fight in her every day and I know this to be true.  I’m just amazed at all of the things that we never thought of before that can be monumental tasks for Ellie.

The boys love to help out - here Kaleb is offering Ellie her bottle on 10/13

And if one helps, the other has to, too.

I know she's upset here... but I think she's channeling her inner 2Pac 
(I just dated myself there, didn't I?)

One of the most humbling experiences we’ve had is learning when to ask for help.  Fortunately, we have friends and family that have offered so much support along the way.  We don’t always have to ask… sometimes people just act, and that’s amazing.  I tend to be proud (B is even more so), so when people have asked to help out in the past, I’ve usually thanked them and told them I’d let them know if I needed anything.  I still do that some, but only when things really are in order.  I had to come to a point where I said, “Okay, when I offer to help someone out, I really mean it… I’m not just being polite.  I usually want some kind of task.”  So when someone says, “let me pick something up for you” or “I can get your boys” or “can we pray for you”… I’m learning to accept the offers to help and be grateful.  Pride can get us in a lot of trouble, right?  I don’t know what we’d do without those who have pitched in to help with our boys, or with a meal, or sent cards or notes to us, offered hugs and prayers, or any number of other things.  We truly do appreciate all of this!!  As much as it pains me to admit that we are far from having it “together”, it’s also heartwarming and I’m so relieved when burdens are lifted for us.  We know that we absolutely could NOT do this without your support, and we’re humbled by your love.

I’ve also been very humbled in my relationship with my husband lately.  When we first got Ellie’s diagnosis half way through my pregnancy, it instantly brought us closer together.  We’d share our fears and anxieties.  We’d cry and let each other be vulnerable.  We promised not to judge each other for our feelings or questions and we promised to share it all and unload the baggage on each other.  This was very helpful.  Once we came to terms with everything, though, and especially after Ellie arrived, I became much less desirable to live with, I think.  Brandon didn’t sign up to have a stressed out, emotional, exhausted wife.  He signed up to date a spunky girl who was full of life and laughter.  One who had all kinds of ambitions and dreams and whom was always up for fun and adventure.  That’s the girl he wanted to marry.  Nine years later, I feel like he has the opposite.  And not only is that wife tired and emotional, she’s also trying to plan out a rigid schedule and is quite grumpy some days.  This was a hard realization.  It actually didn’t hit me until last week when I realized that I get frustrated because I’m doing x, y and z and he’s doing… what?  In reality, I knew he was doing a ton and shouldering a huge burden for me.  And somehow, he was still that fun-loving guy from nine years ago… even if I’d lost my younger self along the way.  As much as I hated to do so, I had to hang my head and admit failure.  Ugh.  On the bright side, soon afterwards we went to a wedding (our first outing without the kiddos since we had Ellie).  Brandon was his crazy self on the dance floor and for a few hours, at least, we slipped back into being those young, crazy kids without a care in the world.  And although his main goal is to embarrass me to death on the dance floor, it’s hard not to love him for it.  He lets me be a busted up mess, and for this, I’m incredibly grateful… but I’m still on a mission to revive a little of that 22-year-old in me.

Lastly, but most importantly, I’ve been humbled by how God has strengthened us through all of this.  We’re not doing anything out of the ordinary here.  We’re doing what every parent in the world does.  I like to say “we do what we do”… because who doesn’t try their hardest to do what’s best for their family, right?  At the end of the day, it’s the peace that our faith has given us… it’s the strength from the Father and the hope of healing that gets us through the long days and nights.  It’s the knowledge that Ellie is here for a specific purpose and that she’ll bring joy and hope and life to others.  It’s the faith that we have in His plan for our lives.  We know that this adventure has been blessed in so many ways and we hope that our journey can help others through similar obstacles.  This is what helps us share our story, even when sharing leaves us raw.  It’s the “God moments” we have along the way that keep us going… and sustain us when we’re especially weak.  We know so many people who have been through so much more than we’ll ever go through… but if we can relate to others through this, and help them find hope and peace in His arms; then every sleepless night is worth it.


Okay, maybe this was a little too personal for some… if so, sorry.  Again – as many of you know, this blog is where I just unload ;).  Thank you again for following along.

No comments:

Post a Comment