Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sitting pretty Sunday :)

Since the last blog post was soooo long... I'll keep this one short.  We'll have a birthday post by the end of the week, anyhow.

I just wanted to throw out an update that we're super excited about:  Ellie's sitting up all by herself.  This was our 1st birthday goal for her... and she met it six days early.  I'm such a proud momma.  She doesn't do it voluntarily, per se, but if we distract her with a toy and she doesn't know that we've moved away from her, she can sit for more than five minutes on her own.  This is a BIG deal!  Here is a picture of the 1st time she sat up for us - on Friday.  She's been repeating this feat all weekend.  I would have posted a face picture, but she was rocking back and forth so much and moving around that those pictures aren't focused.

Sitting up, playing with her toy.  She doesn't know that Rae is out of reach.


And a funny for you:  We have a private duty nurse named David.  David is from Nigeria and has very dark skin.  Today, Kaleb was playing with him and said, "David, what's your favorite color of faces?"  I tried to play it off, embarrassed, saying, "I think he wants to know your favorite color."  Kaleb said, "No, face color... like, white, green, or yours" pointing to David's face.  Part of me was mortified... but I had to step back and see that this was my own PC thinking gone awry.  Kaleb wasn't saying that any one color was any different from another, he was just asking David what his favorite was, as simple as having him pick his favorite crayon or shirt color.  To him, skin color wasn't any different.  Man... I sure have a lot to learn from these innocent little people.  If only adults saw the world like they do, I wouldn't be so worried about acceptance for Ellie in the future.  Geesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment