Monday, September 22, 2014

First little bumps in the road

As I mentioned in our last post, Ellie has been doing great.  At her 2 week appointment she’d surpassed her birth weight and was doing peachy keen.  The next day (Thursday, 9/18), Ellie showed her first signs of distress – at 15 days old.  I was feeding her and watching her brothers run around the living room like the crazy monsters they are.  When she finished nursing, I brought her up to my face to kiss her head before readjusting her to switch sides.  When I kissed her forehead, she was covered in sweat.  My heart broke a little because I knew that this was one of the first signs we are supposed to be on the lookout for (sweating across her brow while she’s eating).  I wiped it away and sucked up my feelings and switched sides for her.  Again, she was sweating through the rest of the feeding.  Dang it!  She did the same at the following feeding (which I was finishing up right before B came home from work).

He walked in and sat on the loveseat across from me.  I felt my voice start to crack as I told him that she showed signs of distress.  He let me cry… but assured me that this was part of what we were expecting and we have a team of doctors that were there to help us.  For whatever reason, I was okay when I sat alone with Ellie, internalizing the heartbreak of watching her struggle, but as soon as I had to admit that to someone else… even my husband, I lost it.  It was like having that secret between Ellie and I (just for a few hours) was bearable, but letting someone else in on that vulnerability was painful.

Don’t get me wrong… I’m so thankful that our first 2 weeks were symptom-free (outward symptoms, at least).  That is fantastic.  I just wish we had more than two weeks of “she’s doing GREAT”.  She’s a tough little booger and is still doing okay, but we’ve begun to feel those bumps in the road.  She didn’t bead up in a full-on sweat at her night feedings, but she got clammy.  She’s done one or the other for all of her feedings since.  I called the cardiologist on Friday morning and she said that she’d note the symptoms in Ellie’s chart, but we could still keep our appointment on the 29th to evaluate Ellie again and see if we needed to start medication yet.

On Saturday, I went to the Springfield Extravaganza with my sisters and a bunch of our kiddos.  Aside from the meltdowns my boys had, we had a fabulous time and got in plenty of walking and treasure hunting.  Afterwards, we met at my parent’s house to celebrate my oldest nephew’s birthday.  I was standing around the counter with my sisters and Ellie was lying out on the counter so we could all check her out.  This is the first time that I noticed that she had started to retract while breathing.  This means that when she takes a breath, her ribs suck in instead of expanding outward.  Her upper abdomen is also getting sucked up a bit under her diaphragm.  Since Saturday, this has become the norm for Ellie… another sign of respiratory distress.  Again, I felt like we’ve been a little defeated, but also knew this was part of what we should expect with the heart defect she has.  I always know that things could be worse… that’s for sure… but dang it, they could be better too.  I hate that I feel that way, but if I’m being honest… that’s the ugly truth. 

On Sunday, we had a fabulous sermon at church and I took the time to surrender our marriage, our finances, our future,  my fear, and of course, our children and health to God.  I talked with some close friends afterwards about being bummed out – and talking about it again made things a little more bearable.  I’m hoping that the more I share, the lighter the load feels.  It feels so backwards to me, but it seems to be working so far.  Thank you for following along – and thank you all because somehow, you are all helping us unload this weight of worry and fear and doubt.  We love you for that!  On Sunday night we had some fabulous company that came over and brought some dinner for us… and because they have 3 kiddos the same ages as ours, they made us feel a little more normal in the midst of chaos.  Love!


I’ll probably update you all later this week because Ellie has her first assessment for therapy on Thursday.  She also has her first physical therapy and occupational therapy appointments.  They’re coming to our house for these, and I’m super excited to learn how to help Ellie.  Did I mention yet that I have a massage therapist who is going to teach me how to do infant massage on Ellie?  I can’t wait to do this.  I think Ellie bug will love it!  Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment