Monday, September 1, 2014

not in LABOR toDAY

Welp, I see that it’s now been 2 weeks since my last update – sorry.  Since our last update, just after our 37-week appointment, things have gone pretty well.  On Monday, August 18th, we had another ultrasound to measure fluids for Ellie… and the fluid level had gone up from 5.6 cm to 6.3 cm… which is good.  We were no longer on that borderline where the fluid needed to be watched so closely.  They’d check it again in a week.  Ellie & I had another appointment on the 21st (38 weeks) and were able to meet Dr. Glover (another possible doc for delivery).  Dr. Glover was awesome – I have yet to meet a doctor that I’m not crazy about in this journey.  Ellie did great for the non-stress test and we discussed in detail the plan for the induction on 9/2.  We’d arrive at 8 pm, get checked into the room and such, and they’d start the induction using a foley catheter.  At some point through the night, they’d also start Pitocin to get contractions going, and we should have a delivery sometime on Wednesday, 9/3.  Sounded good to me!

The next morning I woke up with strong contractions, severe nausea, and other flu-like symptoms (I’ll spare you details).  I told B before he left for work that I wasn't feeling well and that my contractions were so strong that I couldn't stand up straight in the shower when they hit.  We brushed this off because I’d been having random contractions for so long (and did the same with the boys).  I’d call him if things progressed much.  About 2 hours later (around 8am), I called my mom to tell her what I was feeling and had just started writing down my contractions so that I could see how far apart they were.  I was trying to work and track these at the same time.  I also told mom about my other symptoms and she encouraged me to call the hospital and get their take on it.  I waited until 9 am to call, since the doctors’ office opened at 9.  By this time, contractions were consistently about 10 minutes apart, and strong.  I had to focus and breathe through them.  I held the boys at home with me because I wasn't sure what the day would bring.  When I called the office and talked to the nurse, I started to break down a bit.  My voice was shaking at one point and (with Kaleb having a meltdown in the background), I began to cry.  She said, “Are you okay?  Do they hurt so bad that you’re crying?”.  I said, “No – they’re painful, but I’m crying because I feel totally overwhelmed right now and I have a toddler having a meltdown in the next room… and I've never gone into labor on my own… this is scary when I’m by myself.”.  Poor lady.  Ha!  She was very sweet, though.  She told me that she’d check with the doctor and call me back – allowing me time to take care of Kaleb.  She called back to say that Dr. Glover asked that we come down to at least get put on the monitors and check progress.  I called B to have him head home from work, and everything just started to get very real in my mind (key the start of a small panic attack).  I called mom to say they wanted us to come into the hospital and she let me know that she and Tracy were already on their way to our house.  God bless them!!  I ran around the house trying to pull together a few things that we hadn't packed yet… or weren't in the car.  I’m pretty sure I’d broken a sweat by the time Mom & Tracy were here.  I’d gotten sick a few more times and the contractions were getting stronger and closer.  I wasn't timing them anymore.  Tracy asked how close they were and I said “I don’t know”.  She said, “Are you afraid to time them because you know they’re getting closer?”  “Maybe.”  She helped me pack my bathroom stuff up and stared at me with 100% understanding as I held on to the bathroom vanity to breathe through another contraction.  This is about when B showed up and started packing the stuff I’d gathered into the van.  I shared hugs with Mom & Tracy before we left and let them know that I was absolutely terrified.  First, because I’d never done this (labored without an induction) before, and also because I was worried about Ellie.  Ugh – I've really got to get over this fear thing.

As B drove to the hospital (which is a good hour away), he was trying to lighten the mood and tried to make me laugh.  When he realized that I was just trying to not break down, he changed the tone and went into “get there fast” mode.  He kept asking how far apart my contractions were, and I tried to time them, but I was just looking at the clock… them my mind would go crazy between contractions and by the time I’d look again, I had forgotten when the last one was.  By the time we were in Troy (about 20 minutes away), I told him I couldn't focus long enough to remember.  I tried a little harder, but was still spacey – I guessed they were about 6 minutes apart.  About 40 minutes into the drive, he gave me his phone, set up in stop watch mode.  Now I could be a little more exact.  By this time, the contractions were much stronger and were coming about 4 minutes apart – whoa!  I was not ready for this to go so fast.  He started driving a little faster and we were now in Dayton, which is not ideal for driving – EVER.  I was trying to tell him how to get to the hospital and focus through contractions… I may have said a choice word or two about the stopped construction traffic around our exit… oops. 

By the time we arrived at Miami Valley, it was hard for me to get out of the van and walk to the registration desk.  I got checked in quick and then wheeled up to a maternity triage kind of room.  I guess I’d describe it as an observation room… but with several beds, separated by curtains.  Remember, I’d only delivered in Sidney and they’re all about the small, private spaces.  I guess when the hospital delivers 5,000 babies a year, things are a bit different.  They took my vitals and told me that I was dehydrated.  I let them know about my symptoms that morning and that every time I’d try to drink water, eat… anything… that my system was kicking it all out.  They gave me a dose of Phenergan for nausea and started an IV for fluids.  They checked for progress – nothing.  The resident (I didn't catch her name) said that they’d push the fluids, but since they didn't want to admit us until we were in active labor (so… they needed to see some progress, not just contractions), they’d let us go home in a few hours.  I couldn't believe that we didn't have any progress.  I think I would have been frustrated, but the Phenergan knocked me out.  Dr. Glover said that we should go into a room and that they’d keep us until about dinner time so that they could monitor us.  They didn't want us to get all the way home and have to turn around and come back.  So I spent the next 6 hours sleeping… I could barely stay awake long enough to talk to the nurses as they came in.  Sure enough, the contractions faded as I slept and around 5:30 pm, we were released to go home. 

I really thought we were having a baby that day.  I guess this was just Ellie’s way of letting us know that she’s going to do things according to her own schedule.  And as much as I really wanted that “Oh my gosh… it’s time to go to the hospital” moment… I kind of think it’s a little overrated now.  It was way scarier than I’d imagined.  Maybe it was Ellie’s way of showing her Daddy how to get to the hospital in a rush and her way of allowing me to have my little panic attack before her real arrival.  Dry run, I guess. 

The following week was much less eventful – thank goodness!  We had more appointments with fluid measurements consistent with the previous week - we got to have an ultrasound with Lara again (just love her) and she estimated Ellie's weight at 7 pounds 3 ounces, but the closer we get to our due date, the less accurate the ultrasound measurements become - because of Ellie's position and the shadows that bones now throw into the ultrasound picture, I guess.  We haven't been able to see Ellie's face in weeks because of her position - so I cannot wait to see those cheeks again!  On Thursday, 8/28, we had our last prenatal appointment.  What??  I didn't think we’d ever see the end of appointments for this pregnancy.  We got to meet Dr. McKenna (the 3rd and final doctor we could have) and of course, he's just as fabulous as the rest.  My nieces also helped me make a TON of monster cookies to bring to the hospital to share with visitors and hospital staff (I mean… I’m not bribing anyone here… but I will have cookies for visitors).  We capped off our week with another busy weekend.  I’m now to that super tired point (much like the first trimester).  I tried to help with home improvement projects, but wasn't much help to B.  I had a busy day with the boys on Saturday and helped (liberal use of the word "helped") with preparations at Mom & Dad's house for Sunday.  Sunday brought church, then family nap time (awesome!), then a family reunion for my mom’s side of the family - which is what we were prepping for on Saturday.  When my grandma saw me, she said “Oh!” surprised by how pregnant I look, I think.  I told her that we’d have a baby on Wednesday sometime, which wasn't a surprise to her at all.  I think she’s always ready to have more great grand babies.  In case you don’t know my family, my mom’s side is huge.  My grandparents had 8 kids and that led to lots of grand kids, lots and lots of great-grand kids, and some great-great-grand kids already.  Below is a picture of grandma with her great-grand babies… and this is NOT all of them.  We had several families who were not able to make it, so there are at least 16 great-grand babies missing here.  It may have been hot, but it was a wonderful day for family and we got to catch up with some people we rarely get to see.  Feeling very blessed to be a part of this family. 

They tried to get me to jump into this picture... just my belly... 
so that Ellie could be included with the other great grand kids. 

A tree w/ thumbprints of everyone present... how cool is this?  104 thumbprints in all!

This is Uncle Leo's train.  What a big hit with the kiddos!  Tracy was taking them around this time.



As I’m writing this on Labor Day, I realize that I have one more day of work – then the induction tomorrow night.  I think I’m ready this time… thank goodness we got those jittery nerves out a week and a half ago.  I’ll update several times this week, I’m sure.  The next update should include pictures of Miss Elizabeth Kate.  Thank you for following along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment