Thursday, December 4, 2014

Out of CICU!

Last night, B went home to check on everything there and hopefully get a good night of sleep.  It can’t be easy to sleep in this environment and get up to do a physically demanding job in the morning.  I followed him out to gather laundry out of the machines before heading back to the CICU.  When I got back in Ellie’s room, the nurse told me that they’d found a blood clot in her left femoral artery (in her leg) when they’d done the ultrasound earlier.  They were putting her on a blood thinner to dissolve it.  I guess this is pretty common after a heart cath.

I tried to sleep, but the CICU feels less like home than our last room – understandably so.  We turned on the lullaby channel to drown out the sounds of monitors beeping and alarming.  When I got up a little before 5am, the nurse was holding a bink in Ellie’s mouth and said that she seemed really hungry.  She was smacking her lips like crazy and was restless.  Looking at the monitor, her breathing, blood pressure and heart rate were up.  The nurse said she'd taken her temp and it was up at 101F as well.  I immediately said, “She’s storming… let’s get some ice”.  I think the nurse felt awful because she’d been trying to soothe her for 2 hours and didn’t recognize this as a storm.  In this unit, they see autonomic storms caused by traumatic brain injuries (which is usually the cause of storms).  The storms she was used to seeing were much more severe than Ellie’s, which is why she wasn’t more concerned about her activities.  On the beta blocker (propranolol), Ellie’s storms are muted, but the cardiologist said they can still occur and we shouldn’t be surprised to see them after or during stressful situations.  I’d say yesterday was a stressful situation for our bug.  After trying the ice on Ellie, it wasn’t too effective in calming her down – that’s a first.  They gave her the rescue drug, Ativan, to calm the storm.  She was able to calm down considerably.  Now we know that stress can throw her back into storms, so we’ll need to be very diligent about making sure that all of her caregivers know what Ellie looks like in the midst of a storm and what to look for.  After surgery, it’ll be critical to treat the storms as they brew instead of hours into them.  Even at the peak of this storm, she was nowhere near the peak of her storms before she was on beta blockers.  In morning rounds, the resident made sure everyone was aware of what Ellie’s storming symptoms look like... she's supposed to be treated with the rescue drug for any storm lasting 30 minutes or more (they usually last 3-6 hours).

Ellie is super tired here, so she looks a little out of it. 
She's like, "Mom, can you tell them to stop putting things in my nose, please?".

Shortly after rounds, Dr. Hirsch (who did the cath yesterday), came in to talk with me.  He ordered another ultrasound on Ellie’s veins and arteries because they were not able to feel her pulse in her feet (and her feet are cold).  They used a Doppler to locate the clot they’d found last night, but couldn’t locate it with the Doppler – so another ultrasound is necessary.  He then came over and talked to me about his concerns.  He said that Ellie had a lot working against her in regards to her airway… or rather, “almost anything that could impact her airway is impacting her airway”.  She has Down syndrome, making her tongue unusually large where it can obstruct her airway.  Down syndrome can also come with a “floppy” trachea… a.k.a. tracheomalacia.  She has a congenital heart defect, which contributes to pulmonary hypertension.  She has autonomic storming, which throws the rhythm of her breathing off entirely.  ENT found that she has brachiocephalic stenosis, which means that the artery that runs along the trachea puts pressure on the trachea and contributes to the collapsing of the airway (kind of like a big, heavy hose would sag the sides of an inflatable pool as you filled it).  Finally, her sleep study showed that she has severe obstructive sleep apnea, which physically obstructs the airway.  So… there are a lot of things at play here and an unstable airway contributes to pulmonary hypertension… which in turn, is detrimental to the type of repair they’ll need to do for Ellie’s heart.  UGH!  Can you see how it's all related and we're not sure which "evil" to tackle first??  Dr. Hirsch explained that there are several options to stabilize her airway, the most invasive being a tracheostomy (where there is an opening on her throat that leads to her airway).  There are less-invasive methods (which we’re rooting for, of course)… but he wanted to prepare me for what was possible.  He ordered another test (an airway impedance probe) to see if she’s aspirating – that’ll be a 24-hour test.  They also ordered a video swallow test from speech pathology.  I think that’ll happen today as well.  I’ve not read up on either of these yet, so excuse me for being a little clueless at this point.  We also found out that pulmonology is planning another sleep study on Ellie, this time with titrated oxygen supplementation.  This way, maybe they can come up with a regimen that keeps Ellie's oxygen saturation stable during sleep by simple putting her on a machine to assist her breathing at night.  That doesn't sound too bad.  I don't know if they'll get this test done this week, though.  We'll see.

Dr. Hirsch also said we’d likely need to do a G tube before heart surgery, as well.  A G tube is similar to Ellie’s NG tube, in that it’s a tube that goes into her stomach to feed her.  The difference here is that a G tube will have a port on her belly instead of coming up and out of her nose.  This doesn’t scare me, really.  Not the insertion, itself.  I’m worried about the implications of an opening to the gut a few centimeters from where an incision would be for open-heart surgery, of course… but maybe we’re looking at a different type of surgical incision than before.  I won’t know until after the surgical conference next week.  Hmmmm… I wasn’t ready to hear all of that today.  I’m ready to go back to the cardiac floor, recover, and head home.  However, I know that we’re in the right place with the right medical professionals on our side… so I’ll patiently wait to see what the next move will be. 

While this is a lot to digest, again, I sent B a text this morning saying, “Praise God that we’re only dealing with what we deal with every day.  The ICU is a wake-up call for how incredibly fortunate we are.  I just heard an AED machine in the room next to us say ‘stand clear’, then ‘shock administered’.  Ugh!  Praise God that our reality is not like THAT”.  The kiddo next door doesn’t look any bigger than our bug.  The one in the other adjacent room has at least twice as much intervention and has been here since he was born just 11 days ago.  As I meet these parents in the lounge, I ask their kid's name and tell them I'll be praying for them.  I hope this gives them a glimmer of hope.  Some of these babies are only as big as Ellie and are waiting on heart transplants.  Ick!  Even on an emotional morning with not-so-great news, I have to put this into context and realize that Ellie’s worst days aren’t all that bad.

In other news:  I finally figured out which Sunday school song was Ellie’s.  Okay… I know I haven’t written about this before, but it’s been on my mind since she was born.  With our boys, I had a Sunday school song (from when I was little) that has always been “theirs”.  I don’t know why… I just did this, and it kind of became the lullaby that I would sing to them.  I wrote about the songs in their baby books, and with each boy, that song became so familiar and soothing to them.  Okay, back to present… I’ve been trying to find a song for Ellie for all of her 3 months.  Nothing seemed to really click.  I tried singing “Apple Red Happiness” for a while, but it never seemed to fit exactly right.  Over the weekend, I sat rocking her and suddenly “He’s Still Working on Me” came to my mind and I sang it to her.  When I got to the first line of the 2nd verse, I choked up a bit because it was so perfect.  I hadn’t sang this song in years… and as the words started pouring out from whatever archived folder they were stored in, I knew that THIS was Ellie’s song.  She’s probably heard it about a hundred times since this weekend (What?  I have to make up for those months when she didn’t yet have a song).  So for those of you that don’t have a mind that’s cluttered with a million songs from your childhood, here is how Ellie’s song goes:
 
He’s still working on me to make me what I ought to be
It took Him just a week to make the moon & the stars
The sun & the Earth & Jupiter & Mars
How loving and patient He must be, ‘cause He’s still working on me.

There really ought to be a sign upon my heart,
“Don’t judge me now, there’s an unfinished part”
But I’ll be perfect, just according to His plan
Fashioned by the Master’s loving hands.

He’s still working on me to make me what I ought to be
It took Him just a week to make the moon and the stars
The sun & the Earth & Jupiter & Mars
How loving and patient He must be, ‘cause He’s still working on me.


Perfect, right?  I thought so.  We’ve now moved back to the regular cardiac floor… no more CICU!  So now I’m back to a room with a desk that I can work from, a bed that’s big enough for Brandon and I (I mean… it’s the size of a twin mattress… but relatively, that’s big for a hospital room), we can have our cooler and snacks in this room… and it’s quiet… plus, we know the staff over here now, and it helps it feel a little more like home.  The neuro team came in to chat with me and showed me the MRI's pictures of Ellie’s brain… everything looks pretty normal – nothing alarming there at all.  So, that’s good news – nothing crazy going on upstairs.  We need to figure out this airway deal yet, so that’s the next hurdle.  Until next time… here are some Christmas trees that are decorated in the corridor.  The Cardiac team put together the Wizard of Oz one (appropriately featuring the tin man) and... I'm not sure who decorated the Frozen tree... but it's awesome.  Even unlit it's awesome, although my picture does it no justice at all.
 
Cardiology's Christmas tree

Frozen Christmas tree (with ice castle)

No comments:

Post a Comment