Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pleading with God

I’ve been talking with other parents who are here with their kiddos, reading their blogs, and just trying to stay connected with families who we have so much in common with.  It’s sad, but it’s wonderful all at the same time.  I read a blog post this week where a dad had written about a conversation he had with God while he was driving from Dayton to Cincinnati after getting a call that they were doing CPR on his baby girl.  Thankfully, their baby girl pulled through and she’s doing much better each day, but his confession really spoke to me.  He called this “embracing the suck” – as in, embracing that what you’re going through sucks… every second of it… but it’s part of life and it’s something you just have to do.

Reading his post, I thought back to our drive home this past weekend.  We had to go back, feed the chickens, take care of some loose ends, and grab more things from home that we needed.  As I drove (and Brandon slept in the passenger seat next to me), I found my mind wandering back to a conversation I’d had with one of my favorite people (Pastor Jim Wheeler) almost five years ago.  The day was March 12, 2010.  Wheeler and his wife were taking Brandon and me out for lunch and as we sat across from them in a booth, I started to cry and told them all about my nephew, Jared, who had passed away 5 years ago from that day.  Wheeler, in his infinite wisdom, held my hand and told me that it was okay to be upset, that it was okay to still hurt and it was okay to be mad about it.  I felt like it was so unfair that he’d been torn away before he was even 6 months old.  My heart hurt – like an indescribable hurt that I’d never felt before the day we lost Jared nor since.  I hurt for my own loss, but mostly for the loss that Tracy and Josh felt.  I wasn’t a parent at the time of this conversation, so I felt this kind of hurt even before I knew what it meant to love someone so much you’d die for them.  HURT – lots of hurt.  Wheeler held my hand and said, “I know there is nothing that anyone has said that has helped.  People probably told you that God needed little angels, too, huh”.  “Yes… and that just made me more angry.”  He said, “I know.  I tend to think that God just doesn’t like to see His babies struggle.  He doesn’t like to see them hurt and he doesn’t like to see them suffer.  It’s unfair for babies to struggle, so I think God gives them rest.”  Ugh!  That was the first time that anyone had said anything that made me less angry.  I was still incredibly hurt, but I wasn’t mad anymore.  I found peace that God had given Jared rest.  FINALLY, a reason that helped… even just a tiny bit! 

Back to the present:  I think about Jared often.  There are things that Ellie does that remind me so much of him sometimes.  But other times, the words of Pastor Wheeler roll through my mind and I wonder if Ellie is suffering.  Then I go into panic mode and I plead with God.  “Please, God… don’t take my baby.  Please!!  Please let me keep her and please heal her body so that she doesn’t have to work so hard.  Please, God, please.  I am not as strong as Tracy and Josh… I’m not.  I need her to be okay.  I need her to be okay.  I need her to be okay.”  Driving home I just kept repeating this as tears streamed down my face.  Inside, I know that God never “takes” people from our lives.  That’s not the kind of God we serve.  He simply gives them rest.  How selfish am I that I don’t want Ellie to rest?  I want her to fight… fight like crazy.  And she’s doing just that – like a champ.  I know that God has plans for her and plans to work through her (which He is already doing in ways that amaze me).  There is nothing more terrifying than handing your child over for a procedure when you know that there is a big risk involved.  But I also know that what I’m pleading for and scared of is what every parent feels.  They may not be handing their baby over to surgeons, but maybe they’re handing over a set of keys to an eager teenager.  Maybe they’re dropping their daughter off at college.  Maybe they’re sitting bedside while their child goes through chemo.  I know that I’m not alone in my prayers… I’m not the only one who pleads to God for the sake of her children.  I know that this is something that every parent in the world does… and I take comfort in that. 

Friday is going to be another big day for Ellie, and again, I’m terrified.  But I know that there is peace that passes all understanding that lives in my heart… given as a gift from above to keep me from pulling my hair out on hard days.  I know that Ellie has many days ahead of her yet… so much life to live yet.  I hold onto these things when I know she’s going into surgery.  I know that my sweet girl will be hard to look at when she’s out of surgery.  I know that anesthesia makes her look lifeless.  Intubation plus anesthesia brought back vivid, horrifying feelings for me last week.  I know these days are ugly and hard and horrible.  But I know these are steps we must take because they’re the steps that make life a little easier on our bug.  If the tracheostomy lets her breathe a little easier, it’s worth every ounce of trauma I feel.  I know this is going to make breathing less laborious for her every day.  I know the G tube is going to continue to make eating effortless for her.  I was terrified two months ago when Ellie was given an NG tube because it never occurred to me that she wouldn’t be able to eat - something so basic.  Now I know what a blessing it’s been and I know that with a trach and g tube, she’ll have more energy to grow and develop.  Maybe we can start to feed her again and reteach her how to use her mouth.  After a while, maybe we’ll get to spoon feed her… I cannot wait to make baby food for her.  This was one of my favorite things to do for the boys when they were babies.  She’ll get to try avocados and bananas and pears.  So while I plead with God these days, I know I’m not alone… and I know that He’s going to give me many more days/weeks/years to love on our baby girl and many more adventures to plan for her (even if they’re as simple as eating from a spoon). 
Okay... so that was a heavy subject... sorry.  Here are some photos to lighten the mood a little ;)
Our pretty girl on 12/8

Getting a bath... she loves this time of day

Family Christmas picture with the Frozen tree

Sleepy bug

The boys helped my mom set up her Little Peoples Nativity

Kaleb at the allergist w/ my mom.  He did a great job.  Big guy, Kaleb!

The boys helping decorate the Christmas tree at my mom & dad's house

Lance - looking thoughtful as he bowls with Grandma & Grandpa Maier

Not bad form for a 2-year-old.  Go, Kaleb!

Visiting Santa with Grandma & Grandpa Maier

Sheryl had this picture of Ellie from the Maier Thanksgiving (11/22 - just a few days before Ellie's hour-long appointment that turned into a very extended stay at Cincinnati Children's)

No comments:

Post a Comment