Wednesday, February 18, 2015

4 Part Update (because I'm slacking here)

Quick Update
Okay – I fail… it’s been 15 days since my last post… I’m sorry.  On the plus side, you can always think, “no news is good news”, right?  But now I have a lot to catch you up on, so let me unload a bit here.

First, I know I said it my last post that I was so thankful for January to be over because it was a crazy busy month.  I’m not sure why I thought February would be any different.  My work load has been better, but training and discharge planning are making us a little batty here.  We are thhiiissss close to finishing up our training.  Brandon has to do one more trach change (tomorrow) and we each need to do our 24-hour stay with Ellie.  In the 24-hour stay, we each have to be one-on-one with Ellie and do all of her trach care, G tube care, medications, feeds, etc.  You know… normal stuff you do to take care of your kid at home.  We’re allowed to use the nurses if we have an emergency, but that’s essentially like we’re home and have to call 9-1-1.  So, let’s not do that.

I had no idea that when you have a kid on a ventilator, you have to jump through so many hoops.  Your utility companies have to be alerted (because you only have 6 hours of battery life, so you can’t go long without power).  This also means we’ll be getting a generator – because we live in Ohio and we’ve had times when we’ve been out of power for days at a time.  Our emergency crews have to be alerted and will likely come out to meet us and get to know Ellie’s situation and where she usually stays in the house.  We’ve also been told that in the case of an emergency, WE are the trach experts.  The EMTs that respond will not work with her trach, which is fine… but good to know.  If Ellie ever has an instance where her trach won’t go in (which is a very real possibility), we’ll be calling 9-1-1 and riding along with her to take care of anything trach-related.  We know how to do CPR (which we both knew before), we know how to breathe for her with a bag, how to change out the trach in an emergency, and how to trouble shoot the ventilator (among other things, of course).  I don’t even know how many CPR dummies I’ve bagged in my years training others in CPR… using a medi bag (or bag valve) is so much different on a real person.  I hear that it’s also very different on a person who is breathing than one who is not… I never want to experience the later. 

Ellie has decannulated once (where her trach has come out and we had to put it back in on the fly), and we handled that alright.  She makes a horrible, wheezing sound when her trach is out – a sound unlike anything else – so at least we know that and can recognize it in the future.  I have to say that the worst thing I’ve had to do so far is reinserting her G tube.  When I popped her G tube out, I almost passed out.  And I feel like I’ve become numb to a lot of things that would have made me queasy in the past.  The g tube coming out seemed like something that would be terribly painful (there is a small balloon on the backside of the tube to keep it in her stomach, so I pulled an inflated balloon through a tiny hole in her skin – ick).  Ellie didn’t mind so much, but of all things I’ve seen here, that one about had me on the floor.  Let’s hope I don’t have to do that again, either… but I do know how to replace it if needed.

So… this going home business.  We’re supposed to be discharged next Thursday (2/26), but in order to go home, we have to have at least some nursing care arranged.  This has been a circus, to say the least, and a roller coaster with insurance and nursing companies and supply companies.  I think we’re moving in a good direction now, though, and I hope we’re able to keep our discharge date next week.  We’ll see.  I’ll make a post later about going home because there is so much that is different about this stint at home than we were used to at home before.
We’ll be back in Cincinnati in March for another heart cath (3/18), so we’ll only be home for about 2 weeks before we come back for that.  From there, the surgical plan will be in the works.  We’ll have more updates on that when we’re past the next cath. 

Bowling Benefit:
I feel like this deserves its own post, but it’s now been 10 days since the Bowling Benefit and I haven’t posted about it yet… so here goes.  On Sunday, February 8th, there was a bowling benefit for Ellie at Westgate Lanes in Lima.  This was another instance where we were completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of love for our family.  The Lima area is not typically my stomping grounds, so I had no idea what to expect.  We walked into the alley and half of the crowd was donning Team Ellie Bug shirts.  A whole sea of blue again!  There were faces that I didn’t recognize that came out to support our bug – amazing!  There were faces that I hadn’t seen in a long time there, too, which warmed my heart.  My mother-in-law and Brandon’s aunt Sue planned this event and they did an amazing job.  There were so many other family members and friends who jumped in to help keep the event going all day.  There were 27 gift baskets filled with goodies up for raffle.  There was a 50/50 drawing for cash.  There was pizza, pop, cupcakes and of course, bowling.  I think everyone had a great time!  There was a prayer quilt for Ellie that was getting prayers tied into it during the event.  The local news showed up to interview Brandon and ran a story on Ellie on the evening news. 

About halfway through the day, we were pulled out to the welcome table because there was someone there to see us.  A group from the Western Ohio Down Syndrome Association stopped by after seeing an article in the paper about the benefit.  The one family brought their daughter, Kara, with them.  Kara is a beautiful 19-year-old girl who has Down syndrome.  She is a senior in high school this year and cheered for Perry High School for 3 years (a girl after my own heart, for sure).  She is graduating this year and wants to be a fashion designer.  She showed me her designs and shared her hugs and smiles with us.  Kara brought me to tears.  She’s a strong girl; independent, loving and warm.  Kara is driven and excited about all the opportunities ahead of her.  I just wanted to hug her forever.  I hope that Ellie grows up to be as full of life and hope and promise as Kara has.  Her dad said that they always have to give Kara challenges.  “If she’s not challenged, she’s not going to grow and we’re not doing what we need to do for her” he said.  He said he has three goals for her right now.  1 – graduate high school this year, 2 – get her driver’s license, 3 – get married so someone else can help take care of her.  Ha!  At this, Kara gave him a jab and said, “Daaadddd”.  You could just feel the love pouring out of the hearts of the people who came up to meet us and welcome us into their world.  It’s a different world, for sure, but a world full of more hope and promise than ever before. 

In total, 125 people attended the bowling event and raised over $3,400 for Team Ellie Bug.  Three generations of family were helping out during the event as well as countless friends.  I know there were people who worked behind the scenes on this and people who took the reins and made it happen.  I am thankful for each and every one of you.  I’m thankful for the businesses who donated prizes to be raffled in the beautiful baskets.  I’m thankful for each person who bowled, or sent donations, or bought cupcakes or shirts or raffle tickets.  At the end of the day, I think I only bowled 2 or 3 frames… but I spent the day giving hugs and sharing Ellie’s story and talking to people we hadn’t seen in a long time.  We felt the love from Team Ellie Bug, that’s for sure.

 Karen, Noah and Jake

 Teresa picking which baskets to put her tickets in

The Shuters representing Team Ellie Bug

The Daleys representing Team Ellie Bug 

Keykob and Mookie

These ladies were busy all day - Thank you!!

Grandma Ward helping with the basket raffle

The group from the Western Ohio Down Syndrome Association.  Kara is up front :)

The Beech family (Andrew was helping with raffles)

Check-in table... the Beech family and Braun family arriving

Signing the prayer quilt for Ellie

The kids were so happy to help with the raffle drawings


There were literally 130+ photos from this event, and I can't post them all here.  Sheryl Maier (my mother-in-law) has an album full of pictures on FB from this event.  

After bowling, we went out to eat with Sheryl and Denny, plus Brandon’s 2 aunts, his cousin and her friend.  It was nice to relax and bond with family that we didn’t get to see at all this holiday season.  We hope to be able to spend Easter with them… but we’ll see… after all, it’s Ellie’s world, we’re just taking up space in it right now.

CHD & Tubie Awareness
Last week was the awareness week for Congenital Heart Defects and Feeding Tubes… both things that are very much a part of Ellie’s world.  If you didn’t see what I posted on FB about these, check that out.  Just a few quick facts to enlighten your world:

“There are more than half a million people in the United States who have a feeding tube.  About a hundred thousand of those are children.” – Feeding Tube Awareness Foundation

In Ellie’s case, her feeding tube has saved her life.  If not for the tube, or tubes in her case, Ellie would not be able to take in the calories she needs to support her heart and lungs (that consume a ton of calories) as well as the rest of her body.  When Ellie’s been in heart failure, her body was struggling just to keep her awake some days.  She didn’t have enough energy to try to eat.  To this day, even with all the extra energy that Ellie gets (thanks to her tube), she gets exhausted very quickly.  When she eats by mouth, she is only able to eat 3-5mL at a time (less than a teaspoon).  Until I was the proud parent of a tubie, I had no idea that feeding could be a challenge… that taking food by mouth wouldn’t be an option for several months.  I was just concerned that my kids would someday be picky eaters.  I had no idea this other world existed where you get excited about the idea that maybe your child will eventually take a little food by mouth, ANY food by mouth – something that is so normal and social and part of family life.  Until your reality is different, you never know how common these issues are.  This is why it’s important to raise awareness.

Just to give you an idea of how critical feeding tubes have been for Ellie

And did you know that congenital heart defects are among the most common birth defects in the U.S.?  It’s true.  They can range from heart murmurs to very critical defects that require immediate open heart surgery on the tiniest of bodies.  There is a campaign to add pulse oximeter testing to all newborns.  This is an inexpensive, very fast test that can tell (without the obvious signs) if a baby is not oxygenating well.  It takes less than a minute.  This can help diagnose critical heart defects that were not seen on prenatal ultrasounds.  Pulse oximeters are non-invasive… Ellie wears a pulse ox 24/7 and will continue to wear one for a few years, likely.  So simple… so life-saving.  Be aware! 

Ellie’s heart defect was seen on our 18-week ultrasound.  Our obstetrician thought she had some sort of ASD (atrial septum defect), a hole between the top two chambers of her heart.  Once we were examined with a fetal echocardiogram, Ellie was diagnosed with a complete A-V Canal Defect, which means she’s missing most of the septum of her heart (making her heart 1 big chamber instead of 4) and she has just 1 valve instead of 2.  As if that wasn’t enough to rock our world, we found out in November that the right side of Ellie’s heart is entirely too small to function even if she had surgery to repair her septum.  This is called hypoplastic right heart and is a very serious defect which will result in Ellie having multiple surgeries to bypass the right side of her heart completely so that her heart works as 1 ventricle instead of 2.  Medical mumbo jumbo, I know.  But the more people know about these things, the better. 

There is nothing we did wrong to cause Ellie’s heart defects, and nothing we could have done to prevent them.  Essentially, when Ellie was about the size of a sesame seed, her heart was supposed to divide into 4 chambers and start to beat.  It skipped that first step and developed all crazy-like on its own.  It beats like a little champ, but is all kinds of busted up… I say that in the most loving way possible.  J  Thank God for good medical care and amazing (non-invasive) prenatal testing.  We welcomed Ellie into our world knowing she’d have a hard road ahead of her… but willing to dive in and give her the best treatment we could find.  Ellie’s trach and g tube were essential because of her heart defect, really.  But by golly, every stinkin’ day in this place is worth it for the smiles on that sweet baby girl’s face. 

Ellie is showing off her scar (because tough girls have scars) for CHD 
awareness week... and wearing her pretty red tutu for Valentine's Day

Thank you all for following along.  I’m sorry it took me so long to post – I’ll try to be better moving forward.  We love you all and thank you for your prayers and constant support.

Side note

Keep checking the Team Ellie Bug Events page (posted 1/9/15).  We have 2 new events in the works right now and this is where I’ll continue to post any happenings for Team Ellie Bug.  Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment