Tuesday, February 3, 2015

5 months – Go Rockets!

Miss Ellie is 5 months old today.  Brandon and I have joked for the past few months that we should be taking a monthly picture of Ellie with a sign.  Almost everyone else we know does something adorable with their baby each month to post on FB:  the t-shirts that have months on them, blocks spelling out the months, a chalkboard with the baby’s age and likes/dislikes… sweet things like that.  We thought that we should take mugshots of Ellie with her hospital room number in front of her for each month.  Not funny, really – but our twisted sense of humor was satisfied.  When Ellie was a month old, she was living in Room 358 at Dayton Children’s.  At two months, she was home for a few days (whoa, right?).  At 3 months, room A6.81 at Cincinnati Children’s; 4 months, room B6.19 (CICU) in Cincinnati Children’s; and 5 months, room A3.39 in Cincinnati Children’s.  Who votes for home at 6 months?? 

All joking aside, I wanted to take this time and this post to tell you all how amazed and thankful I am for the love and support we’ve received from our communities.  We cannot begin to describe how you’ve all melted our hearts again and again.  This past weekend (on the 30th), we were humbled beyond belief (again).  The Anna High School cheerleaders had called me several weeks ago and asked if they could do a fund raiser for Ellie and get the student body involved in the cause… all of their efforts culminating at the Anna vs. Ft. Loramie varsity basketball game on 1/30.  I agreed, of course, and was touched that these girls that I used to coach wanted to do something for our sweet bug.  I could have never prepared myself for the response that would follow.  The girls sold the Team Ellie Bug shirts… and selling they did… totaling over 300 shirts.  You have to remember that Anna is a very small community.  I graduated with 76 people in my class, so when 300 shirts are sold in a school system, that’s unbelievable!  My niece, Makayla, and her friends started a bake sale and diligently worked before and after school to sell baked goods to raise money.  I found out on Friday that the bake sale was announced during the morning and afternoon announcements broadcast to the entire school.  Village Salon and Spa (in Anna) also joined the cause and donated 10% of all sales on 1/30 to the Team Ellie Bug fund.  Donations for the Ronald McDonald House were also collected at the game.

We walked into the school and saw so many blue shirts (when our school colors and green and white).  I was instantly overwhelmed with emotion when I saw all the blue shirts.  We took the boys to the concession stand for snacks… there stood our superintendent in a Team Ellie Bug shirt.  I sat in the stands and saw the high school cheerleaders and all of the basketball players sporting shirts.  The boys warmed up in the blue shirts.  The coaches had coordinating ties.  The athletic director made special announcements giving the crowd a little background on our journey with Ellie.  So many familiar faces were wearing Ellie’s shirts in support… and so many people (mostly students) who didn’t know me at all were still standing in unity, supporting our little girl.  Talk about being overwhelmed… in the best possible way you can imagine.  Have I said enough how much I LOVE being from a small town?  How much the small town gives me hope for the rest of the world??  When I first sat through sports banquets as a coach, I was reminded of how proud I was to come from a school that still opened and closed their sports banquets in prayer.  When the girls first offered to promote Ellie’s shirts, I let them know that God is mentioned on the front of the shirts and there is scripture on the back.  Did that stop order forms from being sent home with every kid in the school system?  I’m proud – VERY PROUD – to say that order forms were delivered to each child… and over 300 shirts were purchased.  School administrators showed support… a sign bearing Ellie’s name was posted on the office doors of the elementary.  Kids from kindergarten through high school showed support and love for our baby girl.  The community came together and rallied around us.  I can’t describe this, really… it’s unthinkably awesome… and I’m still emotional thinking about it now. 

This wasn’t the end of the story, though… it was a great night for the whole community.  The varsity team pulled out a win in overtime and kept us on the edge of our seats throughout.  At halftime, the Industrial Arts team always draws a raffle for someone to attempt a 3-point shot for cash.  On Friday, that raffle winner was Isaac Bensman, a freshman at Anna who also has Down syndrome.  Isaac stood on the 3-point line and swooshed that ball right through the net.  Everyone in the stands cheered wildly for him.  What a perfect night to show everyone what can happen when a community comes together to support their own.  Isaac is a kid I’ve casually known for years and he’s instantly someone I thought of when we first got our Down syndrome diagnosis in April 2014.  I knew he was in a typical classroom with my nephews… I knew he was well rounded and loved by the entire community… I knew that he has friends and a great family… he was one of those kids I thought of and said to myself, “Ellie’s going to be okay”.  So I stood and cheered for Isaac as tears welled up in my eyes.  Victory for Anna… victory for Down syndrome… victory for faith in a small town.  Oh yeah, and at the end of the game, the cheerleaders took the floor for a chant “Did it (clap, clap) for Ellie (clap, clap)”.  Love.

This benefit for Ellie turned out so much bigger than I ever imagined… so much bigger than the current cheer coach and cheerleaders imagined, too.  Those sweet girls, along with the amazing middle school girls who sold baked goods, raised over $7,000 for Ellie.  I’m completely blown away!  And I know that it’s not just those girls.  For every parent that took time out of their busy schedules to help make baked goods for their daughter to sell… for every parent who sent their kiddos to school with a few extra dollars to buy brownies and puppy chow… for every parent that came out in a blue shirt or ordered blue shirts for your kids… for every person (parents, students, teachers alike) who took time out of their crazy schedules to pray for our family and support us in all the ways you’re supporting us… we’re endlessly grateful.  To all of the ladies (and Tony) at Village Salon who spent a busy Friday working and raising money for the fund… we thank you.  For anyone who brought donations for the Ronald McDonald House… we thank you.  We just can’t say enough how blessed you’ve all made us feel – our hearts are overflowing. 


Some pictures of #teamelliebug.  Go Rockets!!

 The high school cheerleaders after the game (with the boys and me)

The girls plus Ronnie Rocket... Kaleb wanted to dance with the rocket all night long

 Me with the 3 seniors I used to coach... I used to coach 2 other current cheerleaders, too

The boys basketball team and coaches (and fans) in Ellie Bug blue 

 This shot is really special to me.  First, the team and the cheerleaders are all wearing Team Ellie Bug shirts... but the flag in the left corner... it's the flag that the class of 2002 (yes, I'm that old) bought in memory of Jason Banks, a friend and classmate who passed away shortly after graduation.  That flag always strikes a chord in my heart.

My nephew (who is on the team and was sitting with the team and coaches) took this shot of the Ellie Bug shirts across the gym

Players and cheerleaders in blue... also, lots of blue shirts on the kids waiting to give the players fives as they're announced.  I also love that Isaac is in this picture!

My grandma Shuster supporting Team Ellie Bug.  Grandma fell a little while ago and broke her hip.  So grandma and Ellie are both going through lots of PT these days.  Nothing can take that sweet smile off her face!  I know without a doubt where Ellie gets her willpower to fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment