Wednesday, November 26, 2014

God Moments

I have no doubt that this post will make some people uncomfortable.  I know there are a lot of readers that maybe don’t “buy into” the whole spirituality thing.  But there have been so many things in this journey that stand out to me as what I call “God moments”, and I have to share a few.  First, let me tell you that I do NOT believe in coincidence.  I don’t believe that random things happen or play out in a way that seems like they’re part of a plan, but are not.  I believe that everything that happens (good and bad) is part of a plan… a plan to strengthen and prosper us - not a plan to destroy us.  Afterall, my favorite scripture comes from Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Every step of our journey with Elizabeth seems like it was laid out for us… which I know to be true.  Let’s start with her name.  We chose the name Elizabeth Kate long before we knew we were having a baby girl.  Actually, I think we picked it out in 2012 when we were expecting Kaleb.  Kate was my great grandmother’s name (well, it was Katherine).  Elizabeth is biblically based.  Like our boys, we chose names based on biblical text.  We gave Lance the middle name Joshua and even started Kaleb with a “K” because it was closer to the Hebrew “Kalev”.  This makes us odd, I know.  In 2010, I went on an Emmaus walk and sat at the table of Elizabeth.  [My Emmaus friends will appreciate this: My name is Jackie Ward and I attended the Greater Sidney Area Women’s Emmaus Walk #51 and sat at the table of Elizabeth (clap).]  Anyhow, I really believe that God had started to work on my heart and prepare me for the journey ahead at this time.  The scripture above from Jeremiah was actually the scripture that was posted on all of our materials for this walk. 

In a Bible study based on women of the old testament, I remember the day we studied Elizabeth.  For those of you who maybe aren’t familiar, Elizabeth was a relative of Mary (mother of Jesus) and was the mother of John the Baptist.  Elizabeth was pretty advanced in age when she found out she was pregnant.  She was also told ahead of time that her son would be different than others, that he would serve a great purpose and that he would prepare a way for the savior.  In this study, we talked about the turmoil that Elizabeth must have felt with this.  Complete joy for her pregnancy, of course… but inner turmoil as a mother knowing that her child would be different and would maybe lead a difficult life.  We talked about how none of us want our children to be different, really, and how that knowledge is hard to swallow as a parent.  None of us want our children to struggle or suffer physically or socially.  As we sat in the car after our Down syndrome diagnosis… this all came flooding back to me.  Of course our baby was supposed to be named Elizabeth… that name had been on our minds 4 years before she was born.  Two years before she’d arrive, I’d sat in that Bible study with tears streaming down my face thinking about what Elizabeth must have felt knowing her child would be different.  Here I sat, in my van, with the same emotions running through my veins for our own child.  Of course she’s Elizabeth!!

Now that I’ve laid the groundwork on her name… I need to tell you about 2 more God moments that I’ve had in this journey that CANNOT be coincidence (because, remember, there is no such thing in my world).  On Christmas day 2013, I came down the hallway holding my first positive pregnancy test for this pregnancy.  After months of tears over negative tests, I couldn’t have been more excited to hold a positive one.  And what better day than Christmas, right?  Just 4 days later, I sat through church service and felt compelled to come forward to the altars and surrender my pregnancy over to God.  I did this with the boys, too… but I never felt like I had to hit the altar for it.  I was 5 weeks along.  Months and months went by before I looked back at my journal and read about this surrender.  In the same journal entry, I had written about the development of the baby.  I said that we were 5 weeks along and during this week, the baby’s heart would divide into 4 chambers and start to beat.  WHOA!!  Hold up.  The baby’s heart would divide into 4 chambers and start to beat?  By the time I re-read my journal entry that I had so innocently penned, I knew that Ellie’s heart didn’t divide into 4 chambers at all.  It did start to beat, but it was missing a whole lot of what would have made it a typical heart.  Psalm 139: 13-14 says, “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”  There is not a doubt in my mind that God was knitting Ellie together and knew that her heart would be different than mine… her heart would cause me a lot of stress.  Even still, Ellie was His child and she was, indeed, fearfully and wonderfully made.  God drug me to the altar that morning… again, there is no doubt in my mind about this.  He saw what was happening with my child and He knew that I’d need Him more in this journey that I’d ever needed Him in the past.  As always, He was right!

The goose bumps didn’t end there for me, though.  Last week, we finally heard back from Cincinnati Children’s about scheduling Ellie’s surgery.  First, let me tell you that a month ago, Dr. Luby told us that she was going to request that Dr. Morales perform the surgery.  She said that this wasn’t guaranteed.  Dr. Morales is the head of cardiac surgery in Cincinnati, and it wasn’t easy to get a surgery scheduled with him, but Dr. Luby would try her best.  When Cincinnati called, they called from Dr. Morales’ office – Ellie has the surgeon that we wanted!  He’s the absolute best (I know the others are amazing as well) in a hospital that is one of the top in the nation.  Celebrations!  So we started laying out plans for an echo (which is today, Wednesday, November 26th), a surgery consult (which is December 3rd) and a surgery date (which is December 29th).  I wrote all of this down and called B to give him the scoop.  Just this week, I started thinking about our surgery date and also started thinking about those prayers said at the altar last year.  It was then that I realized that my surrender at the altar was on December 29, 2013.  I surrendered the health and development of my baby to God exactly one year (To. The. Day.) before I will surrender her again, into the hands of surgeons who God will guide in repairing that broken little heart.  Ugh!  I can’t even handle how much God is showing off here.  So in the midst of my anxiety and fear… I have to look to Him. 

When I feel alone:  “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” – Deuteronomy 31:8

When I’m anxious:  “Be still, and know that I am God…” – Psalm 46:10

When my heart is in turmoil:  “Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let you requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6

And terrified:  “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10

And when I just feel like giving up:  “When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears, and rescues them from all their troubles.” – Psalm 34:17

… I could go on for days.  I'll update with some pictures later, too.  Thank you, again, for following along.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment