Thursday, November 27, 2014

Hospital turkey...

So Brandon and I joked the last time we were admitted that we should have a “go” bag in the van for unexpected hospital stays.  Well, we should have packed that bag and left it in the stinkin’ van.  I came down to Cincinnati on Wednesday morning with Mom for Ellie’s sedated echocardiogram.  I was nervous about putting her under sedation, so I’d asked for Mom to come with me while B was at work.  We’d had several echos in the past, so it shouldn’t have been a big deal… I felt a little silly asking for company.  I’d be glad later that I’d asked, though.

Ellie was calm when we came in and responded to the oral sedation (pushed through her NG tube) within a few minutes.  The tech started the echo and Ellie’s oxygen saturation dropped.  The nurse said, “I’ll start some oxygen”.  I said… “No, she can’t be on oxygen”.  Ugh – not this battle again.  The anesthesiologist came in and explained to me over and over again that it’d be fine and that it was necessary.  I was still hesitant.  They ended up just doing some blow-by oxygen, which I was a little more comfortable with.  The echo tech was not as talkative as Teresa (the one in Dayton we know well)… so we didn’t get much out of the experience, really.  Once finished, they gave us the okay to wake Ellie up.  Well, that little stinker didn’t want to wake up for anything… which wasn’t much fun.  Mom and I tried to stimulate her to wake her up but she was having none of it.  Fortunately, they weren’t too busy, so we were able to hang out for a while.  Ellie’s pulse ox continued to fluctuate – at one point it read as low as 35%.  They kept going for the oxygen and I questioned it each time.  Eventually, they told us that they’d be admitting us.  When they got ready to transport us, they started fitting Ellie for a nasal cannula.  I said, “No, I’m not okay with that”.  Again, they reassured me that this was necessary and that they wouldn’t transport her without it.  I told Mom that I was about to make the nurse and anesthesiologist mad, but I was calling Dr. Luby.  When I called her office, she was not available, so I left the desk a message that I needed her to call me ASAP.  She called back right away and we joked about how difficult Ellie is.  She said that since this was strictly respiratory and not a cardiac event, she was okay with a little blow by oxygen.  She was very clear that she’d be upset if Ellie was given 100% oxygen through a cannula.  The anesthesiologist was in the room while I was on the phone.  I know I made her mad by questioning her process so much, and for that, I’m sorry.  I’m just trying to do what I think is best for Ellie.

The cardiologist at Cincinnati (Dr. Andersen) came in and talked with the anesthesiologist to get the scoop.  She mentioned to him that I was refusing oxygen.  He said he’d talk with Dr. Luby… which was good news to me.  We were transported up to the 6th floor (the heart institute) for observation.  They kept Ellie on blow by oxygen, but each time they’d remove it, her saturation would drop again.  They explained that sometimes sedation can do this – and it didn’t work in Ellie’s favor that she has Down syndrome and already struggles with weak muscles and airway obstruction.  When the nurse came in and gave me a tutorial on how to break down the couch to a bed, it was obvious that we weren’t going anywhere on Wednesday.  I called B and asked him to come down and bring a few things so we could stay until the morning.  Mom headed out.  Ellie got a chest x-ray and we were told that she had fluid on her lungs and was switched from oral Lasix to IV Lasix to help shed that pulmonary edema.

During Thursday morning rounds, we were able to stand in the circle with the cardiologist, cardio fellows, nurses, etc.  They talked about how Ellie’s AV Canal defect was not balanced (originally, it was balanced, but has progressively changed to where the left side is larger than it should be).  They also talked about her “generously sized” heart.  I asked to see the x-ray they’d taken Wednesday night.  Her heart is HUGE!  I don’t know that I’ve ever seen an infant’s chest x-ray, but I was surprised to see that Ellie’s heart literally took up half of her rib cage.  The apex of her heart was almost in line with the bottom of her ribs.  I know this is because her heart has to work extra hard.  The cardiologist also explained to us how they could tell that she had fluid on her lungs.  Interesting.  He also talked about how this could partially be because of the administration of oxygen (grrrr… this is why I was so adamant in the echo lab).  They discussed how Ellie’s low oxygen saturation could be due to an airway obstruction and talked about having a pulmonologist check her out today and possibly do a sleep study on her.  She could possibly have sleep apnea. 

Shortly after rounds, though, Ellie started one of her fits.  We didn’t get too excited about this because she’d had these almost daily for about 6 weeks now. The cardiology team wasn’t so calm.  They were in here constantly asking questions about these episodes and watching as her heart rate and respiratory rate went through the roof.  She was taking over 70 breaths per minute and her heart rate was consistently over 200 (maxing out at 210).  She did this for several hours.  They were honest in saying, “We’ve never seen this before, really”, and asked to video her episode so that they could use it for training and to show the other staff members.  We agreed, of course.  Ellie had some ventricular tachycardia going on from time to time as well.  Dang it.  It started with lip smacking (and she’d just taken a full feed) and progressed to fussiness, restlessness, her usual backbend, head arched back to the left position with arms and legs constantly flailing.  One of the cardiac fellows suggested that this could be seizure activity.  What??  We told him that this was something Ellie did daily and that it was always accompanied by profuse sweating and she was able to elevate her body temperature considerably during fits.  This is the first time she’s had a fit in a clinical setting, though, since she started to spike her temp during them.  After 4 hours, Ellie calmed down.  An hour and a half later, though, she started another fit.  I’d never seen more that one of these in a day, so I was alarmed.  We put her on our cold floor at home and it’s the ONLY thing that soothes her.  They brought in ice packs and made Ellie a chilly water bed to lie on.  This was working.  The neurologist was brought in to evaluate Ellie.
Finally calm after the 2nd fit of the day.  Poor sweet girl.

The neurologist again went through the routine with us and asked us questions about these fits.  After evaluating Ellie for a while, she said that she had two predictions for us, and they’d start testing for both.  Her first prediction is that Ellie is having seizures (for whatever reason).  She said the lip smacking, body position and arm and leg movements were consistent with seizures and would cause her breathing and respiratory rates to increase, her blood pressure to increase, and the sweating and elevated body temp made sense.  She wanted Ellie to have an EEG through the night to see if they could capture another fit.  The other option that might make sense is called autonomic storming.  I’d never heard of anything like this.  I knew the autonomic nervous system controlled things that we don’t think about (blood pressure, heart rate, breathing, etc.).  Autonomic storming is where the body throws these out of balance.  This normally happens after a traumatic brain injury or damage to the spinal cord of hypothalamus gland.  That part of the description doesn’t apply, but the description of what happens during these “storms” is spot on for what Ellie does.  For now, she’s plugged into a million electrodes (okay, like 27… but still) and will have an EEG through the night.  Tomorrow morning, they’re going to try to get her in for an MRI.  The EEG will be able to tell us if she’s having seizures (if she has a fit while it’s going) and the MRI will show if there is something going on that may be causing autonomic storming.  These two things are very scary to me… but I finally feel like we’re trying to find an answer that makes sense for these fits she’s been having.  It’s scary that she has a normal body temperature when she goes to bed, a normal body temp as she starts her fits, but is able to drive her temp up (even with Tylenol) during the fits… sometimes as high as 105 F.  So answers would be great if we can find them. 

Leads on her head to start the EEG.

Am I terrified that she has to be sedated again for the MRI??  You bet.  But you know… we just take it all in and do whatever we think is the best thing to do for our sweet Ellie.  On the plus side, it looks like we’ll have an earlier surgery consult with Dr. Morales.  They’ve talked about possibly moving her surgery date up some.  We’ll find out more tomorrow.

Brandon and I had our Thanksgiving dinner along with hundreds of other families in the comforts of Cincinnati Children’s.  Our boys were able to have Thanksgiving dinner with my family, which I’m sure they enjoyed.  Happy Thanksgiving y'all... thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers :).  We love you!
The Schroer grand kids (minus) Ellie setting up Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment